Tuesday, 8 February 2011

Rise, rise, rise...

For my friend 'Suburbia', for whom today I shed bucket loads,
she rose like a warrior today, I'm so proud of you,
she is fab, feisty and forty something

and for my girlies, you know who you are,

and for me




Still I Rise

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own back yard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.

Maya Angelou




13 comments:

  1. I love her poems...

    All we women need to have the hope and will to rise...
    I wish your friend 'Surburbia', you, your girls.....and me.....the will to rise x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How different would the world be, do you think, had Eve been made first?

    Maya... What a woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought this was a poem that every girl should be taught to memorize, that it should be set to music like an anthem. But, then, that's me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i went and read her story, so i know you feel for her! why do courts have to make things difficult, and why would the judge say no, then change his mind? some of these things i just don't understand!

    hope ur well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard her speak this on tv once and was mesmerised.....fabulous woman and fabulous words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an incredible poem and a rallying cry for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmph - feeling left out here! Unless I am allowed to be a girlie too? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this beautiful poem, always appropriate and touching. I've perused your photos and I'm in love with Carlisle.

    p.s. You called Moanie, Mum. Are you her child?

    ReplyDelete
  9. rosaria- I am indeed her first born! x

    erin- good eh?


    rock chef- course you are, a girlie if you wish here!

    moannie- we can only wonder!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This poem is amazing and even better when Maya Angelou reads it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You go girl .. Maya is almost as good a poet as you are (okay, I jest but still ... )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Saz, what a wonderfully inspirational poem you quoted here.

    Maya Angelou, I sometimes wonder what her dreams must be like as her waking thoughts are so beautiful and empowering. I hope her sleeping mind takes her to lands even more beautiful.

    The lady could slay a dragon with a single thought and so could you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Take the weight of your feet, draw up a chair and pour yourself a cuppa. Leave your troubles at the door and together we shall ride out the storms.
I will walk a while in your shoes...

Saz x