Friday, 2 April 2010

Phenomenal

something for the weekend...

PHENOMENAL WOMAN
by Maya Angelou

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing of my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them,
They say they still can't see.
I say
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
The palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.


from And Still I Rise by Maya Angelou
copyright © 1978 by Maya Angelou.

24 comments:

  1. Love that Saz. You are that woman. Take care my friend.

    Hugs

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you. I will treasure this poem. And - yes, this is you.

    I've just realiased that I do have four flights of stairs too - its just that mine are before you get to the front door. I hope Easter treats you kindly - you so deserve it.

    Michelle in Wellington with my snoring rescue cat, Zebby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice bit of female morale booster there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic poem. Fab, fiesty and formidable. It should be given to every girl at birth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Empowered!

    There are men, there are people, although they are rare, that can see what it is that makes us each so woman. Thank god.

    I see you, Saz. Look at you there. You are beautiful.

    I hope this holiday is smooth for you. I imagine you on a walk through the city with your camera. I imagine you with your feet up with fuzzy slippers, laughing with your kids, eating chocolate. Hope it is so.

    much love
    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've loved this poem from the first time i read it. thanks for reminding me of it again, you phenomenal woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just keep getting better...except now we KNOW it....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful true words from two amazing woman .. Ms Angelou and you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recognised you in that woman and I recognised me!

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! This is the weekend for rising! Hope yours is great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes,
    she talks of YOU! :-)

    Rise and shine
    and swing ....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always loved that one, and found it very, very fitting for you.

    Go forth and be phenomenal this weekend, and every day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful strong words. Live life to the full girl - and ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never read this one - so happy to have read it while thinking of you. Have a wonderful Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE Maya Angelou!!! Love YOU!!! Fantastic combination!!! You have started my weekend off with such beauty! You are PHENOMENAL!!! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saz that is superb and just what I needed this morning/week/month/year LOL
    Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  17. That IS you Saratouts. Head high, red lippie. Love the poem...believe it to be written for you and go girl. Some men are blinded by their own imagined superiority.

    ReplyDelete
  18. After catching up on the last posts - this is definitely you!

    Walking a new life is ever so interesting and eye-opening. You'll soon give up the walking and start running. I almost envy you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this poem! I've had a copy in my office for years.

    YOU are a Phenomenal Woman!

    Happy weekend.
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, yeah!

    I had the good fortune to see her speak many years ago. She should have added the timbre of her voice, phenomenal woman...

    ReplyDelete
  21. When my sister recently died, we looked for poems to use for her funeral program. We found this one and absolutely loved it because it was describing her---particularly the first two verses. THANK YOU for posting it. I needed to see it again......

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sax, this is absolutley you!

    You have a whole new life just up the road. My sister is going through the same situation. Unfortunately, there has been some major physical abuse going on that the family was not aware of. Important thing is, she and the kids are out of there. They too are building a new life for themselves.

    I too have been through it back in 1996. All is well, kids are fine and I've made it.

    You are doing it! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Take the weight of your feet, draw up a chair and pour yourself a cuppa. Leave your troubles at the door and together we shall ride out the storms.
I will walk a while in your shoes...

Saz x