Tuesday, 20 April 2010

An evening with Rufus ...

A soupcon from last night live at the Sage Gateshead... the night was my gift to ME!!
This song always gets me at the few first words...



He was his usual sentimental, camp, hamming it up, performing at his best, self. Poignant, funny, lovely and why the heck can't he be my new best friend....he included a wonderful tribute to his mother and in the first half he performed his entire new album. 'All the days are nights: Songs for Lulu.' Sublime! It takes a couple of listens, then you are hooked. Again.

With thanks and much love to Fhina, who took me on a whistle stop tour of Newcastles finest vintage shops and amid much chat and laughter a lovely meal...thanks


No matter how strong
I'm gonna take you down
With one little stone
I'm gonna break you down
And see what you're worth
What you're really worth to me

Dinner at eight was okay
Before the toast full of gleams
It was great until those old magazines
Got us started up again
Actually it was probably me again

Why is it so
That I've always been the one who must go
That I've always been the one told to flee
When it fact you were the one long ago
Actually in the drifting white snow
You left me

So put up your fists and I'll put up mine
No running away from the scene of the crime
God's chosen a place
Somewhere near the end of the world
Somewhere near the end of our lives

But 'til then no, Daddy, don't be surprised
If I wanna see the tears in your eyes
Then I know it had to be long ago
Actually in the drifting white snow
You loved me

No matter how strong
I'm gonna take you down
With one little stone
I'm gonna break you down
And see what you're worth
What you're really worth to me


27 comments:

  1. Very nice too.
    Glad you had a great time. Everyone needs to treat themselves sometimes.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love him ever since I heard "Gray Gardens".

    ReplyDelete
  3. His version of Hallelejah is my favorite. Great entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent .. you must treat yourself to something every week .. a mani or pedi or a new scarf .. something... because you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realise you were back in action. Hurrah, Saz - a new beginning on here as in life. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful lyrics. So glad you had some good 'me' time darling. Do want to hear about your visit with Fhina.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You met Fhina! How exciting for you both. I bet you had fun.

    Loving the song. Going to download it onto my ipod. didn't know him well. Happy to hear you having a little you time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A bootleg video, how great! I keep meaning to actually see something at the Sage when I'm over. I usually end up just wandering around when I'm down on the quayside. Must get organised this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We did have fun, and I was honoured to spend time with Sazzie, trawling the vintage stores, and now hankering after a crimson velvet Opera Coat, that I never knew I wanted, until Sazzie said it was so!

    Rufus was wonderful, thank you so for this soupcon of his wonder and magic - I bow to you... xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep getting out there and having a treat for yourself. It's the best, especially with a good friend! And you deserve it, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to know you're finding ways to enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you, Saz!!! What a fabulous concert it must have been!!! And truly a treat for your heart and soul! I'm so happy for you...Here's to more for YOU! You are beautiful, fabulous and worth it! Love your new profile picture as well!! Love always, Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy shit, Sara
    rufus is writing my life!
    I've been taken down by a stone, and just in this fashion.
    it's really good writing.
    ~rick

    ReplyDelete
  14. My kids have introduced me to Rufus, I listened to his dad Loudon 3 in college. Makes me feel pretty old.....but I love Rufus' version of Hallelujah (just wish I knew how to spell it).

    ReplyDelete
  15. How come I've never come across this guy before? Thanks for tuning me into him, he's great, isn't he? Sounds as though you are having a great week, hope it only gets even better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh what joy have just booked tickets to see the lovely Rufus and guests at the Albert Hall in November, last year was wonderful with Martha and of course the delightful Kate McGarrigle.......sad and happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Saz...You 'sound' good. That's great!! Beautiful music and lyrics. Keep treating yourself, 'kay?

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is a poignant bit of song. i'm so glad you had such a lovely evening with a good pal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah you! Glad you had a great time. Touring vintage shops sounds like paradise :-)
    Cheers,
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what incredible lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  21. He`s on Andrew Marr in about 15 mins!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Must admit he's better than my musical offering a couple of posts back!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, darling Saz,
    Sitting in the car, with my laptop, waiting for my son...wondering what you are up to...thinking of you...sending you my love! ~Janine XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  24. 幸福是人人都要,又怎麼可能都歸你所有?要知道這世界幸福本來就不多........................................

    ReplyDelete
  25. Songs for LULU??? I need those Lx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Take the weight of your feet, draw up a chair and pour yourself a cuppa. Leave your troubles at the door and together we shall ride out the storms.
I will walk a while in your shoes...

Saz x