Skip to main content

'Let's talk about...' #1

HAPPINESS

Okay! Okay! I got it all wrong and didn't post this last night as I had stated...
hope I didn't frustrate you all
I'm here now...

Happiness. Contentment. Joy. Pleasure. These are words we throw around, but I wonder if rarely do we really think about them and mean them? Understand them? Feel them. Is it a matter of subjectivity or perspective. In part I think yes, but I also believe in general terms the measure is the same yardstick of feeling. Of emotion.

Moannie and I were recently talking about the value of these words. Of how we of course aspire and hope. To feel them. The real deal.

We dribble out these words about how happiness is all we want to feel. For ourselves. For our children. For mankind. Humanity. But it is I feel an elusive state . A state of mind that is transitory at best. Not available by request. It does not keep us alive. Though these states do nurture and nourish us. Keep us on track. A carrot to keep us on the road of hope.

I do not believe that happiness is a state of mind. I believe that happiness is a momentary state. More slippery than many its contemporaries. Mithering about the lack of happiness in our lives, like feeling regretful is not purposeful nor is it aspirational. It cannot be brought about by desire. It just happens. It is the purist of emotions. An undiluted mix of pleasure & joy.

Contentment is a state of mind, for me. Attainable. Brick by brick we can build ourselves a warm blanket of contentment, safety and security. It is personal. A matter of perspective.

Joy is an emotion we can experience by recall. Of memory. Sparked by music, a song, a letter, a moment past. We can relive. By choice. At our own request.

Pleasure is immediate. Pleasure is Food. Art. Books. Physical. Family. Breathing life. Different pleasures for us all. Pleasure can be cultivated. Seeded. Ploughed and harvested. Replanted. Bought or home grown. Borrowed. Bought. Given away.

A droplet of contentment, a rash of happiness, a storm of joy, a blanket of good fortune or a flush of pleasure.

I wonder which state do you yearn for?
moment by moment.

Okay here goes!
Participate whenever you fancy. Or never! This link will remain on my blog all week for anyone to join in from the Tuesday. Each week I will give notice of the following week's topic for you to deal with it as you see fit. Thanks for participating. Enjoy!

Next week's theme is 'Blogging...'

Rules
Add your details to Mr Linky after you have posted your musings & images to your blog.
  1. Add the 'Let's talk about...' image/logo to your post/blog.
  2. Add the Link back to the Mr Linky post.
  3. Please do check out others' posts and leave a comment as this helps create a tight atmosphere!
  4. No word minimum or maximum, just whatever floats your boat!
  5. Enjoy yourselves and don't put yourself under any pressure. Join as & when you can!

For the home of 'Let's talk about...' go to Fat, frumpy & Fifty



Comments

  1. Saz, we are one mind, as ever, ma dahlink! This is a lovely linkie, and one which I shall proudly display - If I can follow the destructions! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Saz...gonna have to give this a try this week...I hope my simple brain can figure out how to do it...if not, I shall call in the expert!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bum! Would like to do this but am 'private' at the mo! Maybe next time, or maybe I'll do it anyway :)

    Just to let you know, I am following you anonymously (call me neurotic and paranoid if you like?!!!)

    Hope all is well, and thanks for the inspiration

    Sx

    PS, Liked your comment at mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By now, everybody knows I can't do anything with links. But, I'll try. I loved this soliloquy, or dialog with Moanie. Pursuing Happiness should be a PH.D.'s dissertation. I'm too sckeptical to pass the orals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't this week, but I love the idea. Maybe next time! I am drowning in blog visit catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you said it all for me darling and anyway I would have to get you to do the linkage, maybe I'll have a go at your next subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well I am having a go too not sure if I can do all this techie or trekkie stuff, but hey its good to learn
    and Mam needs to be able to do these things

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Saz...you are equally at home as philosopher and poet!!! This is both profound and beautiful!!!!I love it! Thanks for doing this!!!~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Growth. Whatever it is that gets me there. Sometimes it's not so good. Sometimes it's lost on couch. Sometimes it's gripped in leaves. Sometimes it's a note from my children, a hug, a dance. Sometimes it's my nose to window like a dog. Growth. Wherever it comes from, I welcome it.

    Is that a state?
    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Take the weight of your feet, draw up a chair and pour yourself a cuppa. Leave your troubles at the door and together we shall ride out the storms.
I will walk a while in your shoes...

Saz x

Popular posts from this blog

Tesco - every little helps

Last year I bought myself a new camera online from Tesco. One of those emails arrived in my inbox with a 'deal of the day'  and for me the camera was the dog bollocks, in as much as it had a large 8 mega pixel whatsit .... and a large LCD, and yes I do like things big.. say no more! Oh and it is red! which is almost as good as purple but not quite, like size colour of inanimate objects does matter. It was a great price and the bonus was that it came with a, yes you guessed it, large  memory card. Total cost £74.
It arrived quickly but not with the promised memory card, so I contacted Tesco and they apologised, told me they'd run out and would credit me for the cost of the memory card. I found to my surprise a credit of £36.99 in my bank account, so the camera was only £37! I bought the same memory card from Amazon for a few pounds only, so a  result, thank you Tesco!
A few weeks ago my girlfriend's washing machine broke down in its last month before the 12 month warranty…

What a difference....

a year makes!

It has taken me the better part of the last month, to access my blogs (and Moannie's) as I feared it had alas been removed from the ether. Playing around with passwords and email addresses...I'm in again.

My last post , just 10 months ago...burst my seams, as again I realised how so much has changed!

I'm still,  in my new wee home, with Joey (dog) and Monty (cat).

My lovely son has returned from uni in the USA, attained a First Class degree and started work in London last Autumn as a writer...the world his oyster for the taking! My hero!

My beautiful daughter is in Leeds, amid her Midwifery degree, working at a Brazilian first class restaurant, all loved up with the Spanish Chef.... a meeting is on the cards AND he is taking her to meet his Mama is Spain this summer, so must be serious methinks! So proud!

My hugely supportive brother (TOAOS) is living contently in the Garden of England with his wife and Harry the cutest dog!!

My younger and what a stunner sis…

moments...

..and here we are firmly into a new year and I am sitting up wide awake in bed, yet again... I am reflecting upon what was in 2013 and what wasn't.

The 'what wasn'ts ' are left where they are, filed and duly noted, I shall unremember them.

However for the 'what was' ' and that which I choose to bring with me into 2014, are the things that are memorable, enriching, happy and surprising, be them the tiniest fragment of joy or the biggest new thing on the block!

I didn't get off to a great start in January as we had only recently lost Mumma a few months before, the countdown to my son's second year of uni starting mud summer in the States and i was in the middle of a roller-coaster of negotiations trying to secure a business lease and plan for a potential opening. I wasn't at my best and i was running low on fuel.

However as always when faced with a challenge I was defiant and rose to several occasions, decisions with all the positivity I could mus…