Skip to main content

A la claire fontaine

Monday night I went to the cinema, alone.
'The Monday Night Alternative' is a film season at the Tullie House Museum
which shows independent films that have no chance
of reaching us through the syndicated cinemas by which we are now served.

Two weeks ago I saw 'Miss Pettigrew lives for a Day',
a delightful Henry Higgins of a film. Substantial talent. A period piece.
The screen play was a gentle and respectful representation of the book by Winifred Watson.
I read this last year, it has been republished by the wonderful Persephone -
I love rolling that word around my mouth - Publishing house.
They only publish out of print books,
which they consider to be masterpieces of 20th century fiction.
With a lighthearted punch.
It is funny and classy. The 1930's fashions too, sigh!
The film was a delight. I recommend it.


On Monday I saw, 'I've missed you so long'.
A wonderful crisp french film. Great effortless acting.
I had wanted to see this for some time, it is already on DVD.
But to see it in the small lecture theatre/cinema at Tullie House,
makes the occasion a little more personal and it feels like a treat.
Something which the commercial bathtubs, full of popcorn and selling BOGOF's
through the teenage market on mobile phones, does not quite capture.

Kristin Scott Thomas headed up the classy cast,
in this drama dealing with the dramatic family secrets, ties and angst.
I tend to watch more French and World cinema films.
As I get older the challenge of understanding the plot,
with their subtle hidden humour and stylish nuances
makes the effort of going so worthwhile.




A tune, ' a la claire fontaine' pulled me further in half way through,

as I seemingly knew the lyrics of the first few verses. By heart?

I couldn't recall exactly why I know it - Moannie may be able to tell me -

It has been playing on repeat in my head all day. I hear it now.
A pocket full of memories. Locked away. Until someone turns the key.
Life is strange isn't it?


'A la claire fontaine' was also played at the end
of another wonderful film ' The Painted Veil'
a film adaptation of W. Somerset Maugham's book.
Higly recommended also.

Comments

  1. Thanks for that entertainment! I would like to see them both (most likely alone!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are a movie critic as well?? You are a fabulous person! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. We now have some great films to visit. Thank you for reviewing these and presenting them to us this way. I too love old movies and gentle-era sepia-toned movies with soft lighting and slow movements. I want to be engaged in the people, not what they do, but what they think and ponder.

    Brava. And thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of the films you mention I've only seen Miss Pettigrew, it was wonderful. Will look out for the others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweetheart. You become more French with every passing year-how strange-linked to your ennui pue t'etre. I loved the book of Miss Pettigrew, and it would seem that the film has been made with great respect for the text. The French film looks stunning, what is the betting it is on your list for pop's birthday next month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a place like that in Guelph that shows these kind of films. I always thought the man that built the theater had a lot of vision. I hear he does quite well with it.

    He added the whole thing on to his 'bookshelf cafe'. Had started with a bookstore - added the cafe where he sold whatever the cook made that day. Then he borrowed a ton of money and added the theater. Smart man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aims- I could but dream..

    Moannie- you betcha, well maybe maybe not.
    Sniffles hard;y a critic, just like to share my pleasures around..they mean little alone

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is something I miss living way up here in the middle of nowhere...arts and culture. For example, today my daughter sat over a bag of cow manure and filled her hands and took deep breaths saying, "OOOOhhh, I just love the smell!" That's about as cultured as we get. PLEASE save me! I would love to see these films!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Take the weight of your feet, draw up a chair and pour yourself a cuppa. Leave your troubles at the door and together we shall ride out the storms.
I will walk a while in your shoes...

Saz x

Popular posts from this blog

Tesco - every little helps

Last year I bought myself a new camera online from Tesco. One of those emails arrived in my inbox with a 'deal of the day'  and for me the camera was the dog bollocks, in as much as it had a large 8 mega pixel whatsit .... and a large LCD, and yes I do like things big.. say no more! Oh and it is red! which is almost as good as purple but not quite, like size colour of inanimate objects does matter. It was a great price and the bonus was that it came with a, yes you guessed it, large  memory card. Total cost £74.
It arrived quickly but not with the promised memory card, so I contacted Tesco and they apologised, told me they'd run out and would credit me for the cost of the memory card. I found to my surprise a credit of £36.99 in my bank account, so the camera was only £37! I bought the same memory card from Amazon for a few pounds only, so a  result, thank you Tesco!
A few weeks ago my girlfriend's washing machine broke down in its last month before the 12 month warranty…

What a difference....

a year makes!

It has taken me the better part of the last month, to access my blogs (and Moannie's) as I feared it had alas been removed from the ether. Playing around with passwords and email addresses...I'm in again.

My last post , just 10 months ago...burst my seams, as again I realised how so much has changed!

I'm still,  in my new wee home, with Joey (dog) and Monty (cat).

My lovely son has returned from uni in the USA, attained a First Class degree and started work in London last Autumn as a writer...the world his oyster for the taking! My hero!

My beautiful daughter is in Leeds, amid her Midwifery degree, working at a Brazilian first class restaurant, all loved up with the Spanish Chef.... a meeting is on the cards AND he is taking her to meet his Mama is Spain this summer, so must be serious methinks! So proud!

My hugely supportive brother (TOAOS) is living contently in the Garden of England with his wife and Harry the cutest dog!!

My younger and what a stunner sis…

moments...

..and here we are firmly into a new year and I am sitting up wide awake in bed, yet again... I am reflecting upon what was in 2013 and what wasn't.

The 'what wasn'ts ' are left where they are, filed and duly noted, I shall unremember them.

However for the 'what was' ' and that which I choose to bring with me into 2014, are the things that are memorable, enriching, happy and surprising, be them the tiniest fragment of joy or the biggest new thing on the block!

I didn't get off to a great start in January as we had only recently lost Mumma a few months before, the countdown to my son's second year of uni starting mud summer in the States and i was in the middle of a roller-coaster of negotiations trying to secure a business lease and plan for a potential opening. I wasn't at my best and i was running low on fuel.

However as always when faced with a challenge I was defiant and rose to several occasions, decisions with all the positivity I could mus…