Skip to main content

Reculver Towers - Day Three

Day one & two HERE


On Day Three - I packed Mum and Milou into the back of my car, well not literally but into the back seats, and trundled, not unlike Postman Pat to Reculver. Which is just three miles east of the bay. I've visited this many times. With family, on school and cycle trips and ' a deux' as lovers lane is on the way. Nuff said.

The famous Reculver Roman Fort/ Towers is now sitting precariously on the edge of the cliff. Literally three feet away from disaster.  When the Roman fort first came into existence some 2o0o years ago. It probably consisted of trenches and a wooden structure, not dissimilar to the first incarnation of Hadrians wall. This too was soon replaced by a stone structure. The southern remnants represent the original building c 693AD. 

From Wikipedia- "Called "Regulbium", the fort guarded the north end of what were then the broad waters of the Wantsum Channel, which separated the Isle of Thanet from the rest of Kent, and was open to shipping. Recent archaeological excavation has shown that the site had been occupied in pre-historic times, and it is of interest that the name "Regulbium" is Celtic  in origin, probably meaning "at the promontory", or similar. The place is elevated above the surrounding countryside, and it still sits on a slight promontory today. In old english, the place-name became corrupted to "Raculf", ultimately giving rise to the modern "Reculver".

While the churchyard to the north of the church has long since been lost to the sea, together with a large proportion of the Roman fort, Reculver continues to be threatened by the retreating coastline. The cliffs between Reculver and Herne Bay, which rise up to 30 metres (98 ft) in height, are highly vulnerable to erosion since they are composed of soft sand and clays, originally laid down in shallow seas about 60 million years ago. Consequently the coastline is receding extremely quickly, threatening residents and the local tourism industry. At present the area remains inadequately protected, and the provision of adequate sea defences is still under debate."


(click on images to enlarge)

back view of the front towers 


the view  over the south end over the Isle Of Thanet (although no longer an Island)

the roman remains

see how near the cliff edge it is...


view from south end and cliff edge


map showing then and now (click to enlarge)


room with a view


19C dedication

Milou enjoying the space

Day one & two HERE

Comments

  1. stunning! oh how i missed getting to see all of those lovely places. only one i got to was the white cliffs in dover. one day, we plan to go back and hit many more! thanks for shariing the beautiful photos!!

    blessings,
    Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saz, not sure what happened to my comments here yesterday - Disappeared into that light sea breeze from sunny Kent - I enjoyed this visit, and Milou is such a darling.

    Your mum is a star, just like her mum was before her, n'est-ce pas?!

    All that beauty in the genes, Saz - You are soooo lucky and will probably grow to age fantastically, you swinelet you!

    I hope you are well and good, my darling - It's good to have you back, and you were very much missed - I'm glad you had a fabulous time chez les parentals xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are wonderful shots. Fabulous structures and such. I'd like to visit there some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You jogged my memory. Not that I remember Reculver, but, as a child, I lived in the area and I can remember the name. Various members of the family 'walked to Reculver' etc. Now I can put a 'face' to the name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did have a fab. time, and the pics enlarge beautifully my gifted gal.And still Sundays to go?

    Think it should have been 2.000 rather than two hundred?

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing. How did they do it? Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning. I had forgotten just how lovely it is over that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all of the wonderful information!

    What a lovely place it is. Shame if it falls into the sea someday, but I have to say that I admire you Brits for your attitude. Over here, we'd have seven congressional committees arguing over how to safeguard it from crumbling and erecting fences to keep people out, as they might hurt themselves (instead of giving people credit for using their brains and staying away from dangerous bits) and calling for a rise in taxes to pay for shoring up the cliffs and then having five environmental groups saying they can't do it because it will kill some previously unknown and loathsome species of sea slug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting photos. Makes me wish I was there with you. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find this bitter sweet. I love historical buildings. It's sad that nothing has been done to safe this beautiful piece of history. It was even more precious back in it's own day.

    Society lacks such appreciation for our history.

    sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow ... that's quite stunning, to see it so close. No doubt, one winter's day in a howling gale, it will start to fall over the edge. An awe-inspiring mental image.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing photos! I must admit, I dropped by because of your title: Fat, frumpy, and fifty - yep, that pretty accurately describes me.
    Now I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this, Saz! I'm always interested in seeing places I've never been, especially through the eyes of a blog-pal, with personal story and thoughts. A cute white doggie never hurts either. Thank you; I'm so glad you had a good visit w/your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely images. They bring such a great dimension to this blog, which already had so much going for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Continually the history blows my mind. History here is a falling down shack.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a shame about the Roman stones disappearing into the sea...I'm heartbroken!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Take the weight of your feet, draw up a chair and pour yourself a cuppa. Leave your troubles at the door and together we shall ride out the storms.
I will walk a while in your shoes...

Saz x

Popular posts from this blog

Tesco - every little helps

Last year I bought myself a new camera online from Tesco. One of those emails arrived in my inbox with a 'deal of the day'  and for me the camera was the dog bollocks, in as much as it had a large 8 mega pixel whatsit .... and a large LCD, and yes I do like things big.. say no more! Oh and it is red! which is almost as good as purple but not quite, like size colour of inanimate objects does matter. It was a great price and the bonus was that it came with a, yes you guessed it, large  memory card. Total cost £74.
It arrived quickly but not with the promised memory card, so I contacted Tesco and they apologised, told me they'd run out and would credit me for the cost of the memory card. I found to my surprise a credit of £36.99 in my bank account, so the camera was only £37! I bought the same memory card from Amazon for a few pounds only, so a  result, thank you Tesco!
A few weeks ago my girlfriend's washing machine broke down in its last month before the 12 month warranty…

What a difference....

a year makes!

It has taken me the better part of the last month, to access my blogs (and Moannie's) as I feared it had alas been removed from the ether. Playing around with passwords and email addresses...I'm in again.

My last post , just 10 months ago...burst my seams, as again I realised how so much has changed!

I'm still,  in my new wee home, with Joey (dog) and Monty (cat).

My lovely son has returned from uni in the USA, attained a First Class degree and started work in London last Autumn as a writer...the world his oyster for the taking! My hero!

My beautiful daughter is in Leeds, amid her Midwifery degree, working at a Brazilian first class restaurant, all loved up with the Spanish Chef.... a meeting is on the cards AND he is taking her to meet his Mama is Spain this summer, so must be serious methinks! So proud!

My hugely supportive brother (TOAOS) is living contently in the Garden of England with his wife and Harry the cutest dog!!

My younger and what a stunner sis…

moments...

..and here we are firmly into a new year and I am sitting up wide awake in bed, yet again... I am reflecting upon what was in 2013 and what wasn't.

The 'what wasn'ts ' are left where they are, filed and duly noted, I shall unremember them.

However for the 'what was' ' and that which I choose to bring with me into 2014, are the things that are memorable, enriching, happy and surprising, be them the tiniest fragment of joy or the biggest new thing on the block!

I didn't get off to a great start in January as we had only recently lost Mumma a few months before, the countdown to my son's second year of uni starting mud summer in the States and i was in the middle of a roller-coaster of negotiations trying to secure a business lease and plan for a potential opening. I wasn't at my best and i was running low on fuel.

However as always when faced with a challenge I was defiant and rose to several occasions, decisions with all the positivity I could mus…