Skip to main content

Please Mr Postman...


... look and see is there a letter, a letter for me?

And if there is dont't effing well ring my doorbell at 7.20am on an effing Saturday morning. Especially when I am all cuddled up in my warm bed! Because weekdays you usually arrive after 9.30 am every morning and so I don't get my mail until I return from work. I had no alarm set for once this Saturday and Larry told me he would get up for the dog and I should lay in for once.

I often work weekends (5 out of every 8 on a shift rota, which only the ancient Egyptians can figure out its that complicated) and so to me this is Nirvana. The doorbell made me jump up and lose the quilt into the freezing cold room- the heating hadn't warmed up the home yet.

The doorbell - which sounded more like the bells, the bells of Notre Dame to my ears and my crouched over Quasimodo like frame. I reach out blindly for my specs and fall over the dog sleeping on the floor on my slippers, I collected my cold naked body (not a pretty sight I assure you, as I now get so hot at night in bed - for hormonal reasons you understand, that when Larry is home the bed is almost to hot to bear clothing and a duvet) - oh dear too much information I hear you mutter - sorry!

I get up too quickly and I slam into the wall ouch!  I sumo wrestle myself blindly still sans spec's into my dressing gown which is now upside down , I huff an puff myself into it correctly. I swear under my breath. Then into the still very dark hall I notice the gown is now inside out,  I'm awake enough to be embarrassed whether Mr Postman notices this fact or not and I care enough to take it off quickly trying to sort out the knot of sleeves. Swearing louder, working faster so the ding, dang, ding , dong doorbell doesn't ring again and wake everyone in the house, cos then I won't get to sleep again. I catch a glimpse of my crooked morning face- why does the pillow do that to me- a morning crease that leaves a deep groove up from my nostril to my eye and is sometimes still there at midday- my hair looks like shagging hair as if I had a good night actually - er I hadn't had a good night actually.

I unlock the door, the poor postman is standing there looking frozen but cheery, I can't think why, I really daren't think why,   I say brightly, 'You're an early bird!' oh!  the drivel he must hear from people in the morning, well I tried to be nice and I signed for half a dozen packages, which I notice are all for my daughter, then I notice my mother's writing (why does this always make me smile?) even though I now know who to blame for my awful early start!

I turn and close the door, put the mail on the chair and nearly trip over the dog - black- in the darker hallway who now wants out for a pee, so I walk blondely towards the kitchen and SMASH my shin on the effing dog basket, it still hurts like a bugger now!

I did return to bed although only for another hour hopeful of starting the morning over .. . and it turned out  ok and I had a lovely day alone with Larry.

Comments

  1. Oh, dear. I can relate; my poor postman has seen with pajamas and bedhead more times than I would like.

    What in the world has your daughter been ordering?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh please - you sleep naked and your hair was "rumpled" and you're trying to tell us nothing's going on.
    On another note, I have just told the kids that I am moving NOTHING that we have just unpacked, so if they want their new things they can take them to their rooms themselves. I thought your dancing Mum On Strike was calling to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Meez avatar! (You do know you can choose a body shape two sizes smaller than your real one, don't you? No-one will know!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with being naked and shaggy - good on you :) Hormonal flushes however are no fun at all :(

    Should be a law against any parcels that need signing for being delivered before 9 am on Saturdays...
    Hope the bruises have settled
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has the tears rolling down my face! So my typing/spelling could be worse than usual, due to blurred vision. I laugh, may I add, WITH, not AT you, for my postman has the same love of early morning Saturdays, but usually manages to catch me on the loo - you can write your own scenario from here on in...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was hilarious, and brilliantly written! I was with you all the way. My dressing gown is still inside out now, and my hair looks liek a haystack, and I've been up for hours!

    Happy New Year. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see it, clear as day, the squashed face, the bed head hair.

    Sorry you got hurt, did Larry kiss it better?

    You have to tell me about all these 'links' I am seeing on a lot of blogs. Is it so easy that EVERYONE is doing it...and why? David is doing it on his posts now, mumble mumble...don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No smart-aleck remarks. Just enjoyed this, very much. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my...reminds me of my working days...12 hour shifts 4 days on 3 days off and somehow they always stretched into 14 hours instead of 12 and I only began to feel slightly rested on day 3 and then it was time to start over again...and what in heaven's name is the dog basket made of? Oak? Maybe a new dog basket made of wicker is in order? Hope you're rested, dear!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think postmen do it on purpose! Arrive early on a Saturday I mean. :(

    I remember a friend of mine having the same problem one Saturday morning. She was feeling quite good when she shut the door on the postman thinking he fancied her, only to look down and see her right tit had escaped her dressing gown! :0

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a conspiracy. As soon as you decide to have a lie in, the postman rings the bell. As soon as you say the word barbecue the storm clouds gather. The minute I say 'early start across the A66 the temperature plummets

    ReplyDelete
  12. Criminal. Effing criminal!
    And if it were raining, sleeting, snowing, blowing, would he have been so cheery then? (Oh poor man, he had to work even earlier than that. That too is criminal!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey at least you get service on a weekend, we get one delivery a day Monday through Friday. I even have to walk to the other end of the street to pick my mail up at a collection point, as there is no door to door delivery........Not that I am whining or anything....LOL

    I have mentioned your blog in a post I am doing on Friday (9th) on my blog.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree with you on the postman's timing. Ours arrives about 10 am weekdays and 7 am Saturdays. It is soo annoying. I have got beyond caring what I look like when I open the door to people who call early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. May I chirp in with the silly comment that I wished the postman here would distribute mail on Saturdays? He does not! Never.

    Still, I empathize with your plight, what a bummer! I am so convinced that the morning I decided to sleep in, all hell breaks loose, I rather get up at my regular time, to enjoy the quiet (since no one ever shows up when I am up bright and early! *grin*).

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm almost dying for hormonal flushes...I sleep with three duvets and two hot water bottles...drives hubbie nuts!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Take the weight of your feet, draw up a chair and pour yourself a cuppa. Leave your troubles at the door and together we shall ride out the storms.
I will walk a while in your shoes...

Saz x

Popular posts from this blog

Tesco - every little helps

Last year I bought myself a new camera online from Tesco. One of those emails arrived in my inbox with a 'deal of the day'  and for me the camera was the dog bollocks, in as much as it had a large 8 mega pixel whatsit .... and a large LCD, and yes I do like things big.. say no more! Oh and it is red! which is almost as good as purple but not quite, like size colour of inanimate objects does matter. It was a great price and the bonus was that it came with a, yes you guessed it, large  memory card. Total cost £74.
It arrived quickly but not with the promised memory card, so I contacted Tesco and they apologised, told me they'd run out and would credit me for the cost of the memory card. I found to my surprise a credit of £36.99 in my bank account, so the camera was only £37! I bought the same memory card from Amazon for a few pounds only, so a  result, thank you Tesco!
A few weeks ago my girlfriend's washing machine broke down in its last month before the 12 month warranty…

What a difference....

a year makes!

It has taken me the better part of the last month, to access my blogs (and Moannie's) as I feared it had alas been removed from the ether. Playing around with passwords and email addresses...I'm in again.

My last post , just 10 months ago...burst my seams, as again I realised how so much has changed!

I'm still,  in my new wee home, with Joey (dog) and Monty (cat).

My lovely son has returned from uni in the USA, attained a First Class degree and started work in London last Autumn as a writer...the world his oyster for the taking! My hero!

My beautiful daughter is in Leeds, amid her Midwifery degree, working at a Brazilian first class restaurant, all loved up with the Spanish Chef.... a meeting is on the cards AND he is taking her to meet his Mama is Spain this summer, so must be serious methinks! So proud!

My hugely supportive brother (TOAOS) is living contently in the Garden of England with his wife and Harry the cutest dog!!

My younger and what a stunner sis…

moments...

..and here we are firmly into a new year and I am sitting up wide awake in bed, yet again... I am reflecting upon what was in 2013 and what wasn't.

The 'what wasn'ts ' are left where they are, filed and duly noted, I shall unremember them.

However for the 'what was' ' and that which I choose to bring with me into 2014, are the things that are memorable, enriching, happy and surprising, be them the tiniest fragment of joy or the biggest new thing on the block!

I didn't get off to a great start in January as we had only recently lost Mumma a few months before, the countdown to my son's second year of uni starting mud summer in the States and i was in the middle of a roller-coaster of negotiations trying to secure a business lease and plan for a potential opening. I wasn't at my best and i was running low on fuel.

However as always when faced with a challenge I was defiant and rose to several occasions, decisions with all the positivity I could mus…