Sunday, 28 December 2008

Baz- The Wizard of Oz

AUSTRALIA - THE MOVIE

Late yesterday afternoon after a few hours shopping, chatting and lattes, my pal and I went to see Australia the movie.  We were expecting a good film as we have enjoyed all of Baz's previous slightly off the wall movies.

And this was fabulous!

It started off with some very funny scenes,  all sweeping in style and amazing cinematography. The country is so beautiful, much more than I ever realised and it make us see that the USA isn't the only 'we have it all' scenery continent.

I loved it, loved it, loved it!

I must have cried 6 times and sobbed at the denouement ... we felt like we had been through the wars  ourselves, as it took us high and low and high and low again. It was well paced, very theatrically BAZ LUHRMANN  in style and  its story lines. 

An epic of  a  film in the tradition of Gone (walkabout) with the wind/rabbit proof fence/ the searchers  / and bit of Tora, tora, tora  (for the boys) and with a soupcon of  a betst loved Musical  thrown in, I'll leave that bit of sentimentality for a surprise!

Nicole showed her variety of talents, singing, comedic and dramatic with a good aristocratic accent. Hugh Jackman a favourite of mine it has to be said, brought on my palpitations and if any of you girls loved the wet shirt and chest of Brosnan in Mamma Mia, you are in for a T.R.E.A.T. 

Not sure if any men l know would go see this even in the confines of their own living room, but I think if you are a man and   did sit through that awful Pearl Harbour film you could easily enjoy this film, (lots of planes and bombs BS5)

The press have said much about the value of the film for Australian tourism. It has always been on my list of places to go see, now it's right up there on the top, it's breathtakingly beautiful!



8 comments:

  1. I think that is one movie I shall have to see BEFORE it comes out on Video. Happy that you had some fun time with friend, hone bun. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great review! I want to see it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A strong recommendation.
    Everyone says Hugh Jackman is eminently watchable.......!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE saw it before Christmas and did enjoy it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it, I will put it on my list of dvd's to watch, I am too frugal/tight to pay to see it in the theatre!!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that - have been wanting to see it.

    Southern scenery is so beautiful - but I am writing from Lord of the Rings country - close to Edoras, and please don't miss adding NZ on your eventual travels to Australia ...
    Have look at some of these :)

    http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/canterbury/canterbury---methven-and-mt-hutt/tours/lord-of-the-rings-tours/

    I also lived in Queenstown - where they filmed Narnia, The Water Horse as well as LOTR.
    http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/queenstown/tours/lord-of-the-rings-tours/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good, I have to say - any spaceships?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We went, we saw... and it was good - much better than the reviews and we enjoyed it... thanks for nudging us with your post :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Take the weight of your feet, draw up a chair and pour yourself a cuppa. Leave your troubles at the door and together we shall ride out the storms.
I will walk a while in your shoes...

Saz x