Tuesday, 4 November 2008

ABC Wednesday P is for ...



P is for ...... 
Pergola

After consulting my tome The New English Dictionary again, 
it describes the word pergola as a garden archway, 
as well as other shaped garden frameworks 
which enable the trailing of plants or climbers! 
Origin is 17th century from Italian/Latin pergula 'projecting roof'

 I was  inspired to post some before and after images 
of the  pergolas in the garden of our home


A bare pergola against house's back wall in early December '07



2nd bare pergola by outdoor dining/bbq area



and to Wisteria bloom in early summer '08 for only a few short weeks


they are actually more pinky in tone that lilac but you get the idea



and they were the very first real flush of colour, 
as in a new home and garden everything that blooms and blossoms is a lovely surprise!



14 comments:

  1. Lovely! I bet they're gorgeous when full of blooms. You'll have to post some photos next summer so we can compare. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to learn new words, so thank you for this one. It would be lovly to see the full blloms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute home! Wisteria is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blooming wisteria is so pretty, especially on the ABC Wednesday letter "P".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great shots of the blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful! I love wisteria. We used to have some in our yard when I was a kid, but I was always afraid of the bees that inhabited it. A little trimming and guiding it into a pergola would have been great.

    Peace - D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My!! That wisteria is so wonderful...I tried to grow one and it died...yours is amazing and full of so many flowers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love wisteria. Your garden looks great. Who does all the gardening?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't know how I missed this post.
    Your garden looks amazing, a fine return for all your hard work...no wonder you are tired.XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely. And what a neat garden!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love wisteria, the smell is lovely too. Makes me want the summer back even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are just SO lovely! Such beautiful gardens you have!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for POSTING PICTURES of your PERGOLA.
    Now I can show my husband what I want in my garden next year.

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  14. A pergola is something I don't have in my garden, but wish I did! The wisteria is beautiful in bloom.

    Thanks too for the post today on our new President. It's been interesting to see the reactions from people outside the U.S. I thought both McCain's and Obama's speeches were good, but Obama's speech was the most inspiring one I've heard in a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Take the weight of your feet, draw up a chair and pour yourself a cuppa. Leave your troubles at the door and together we shall ride out the storms.
I will walk a while in your shoes...

Saz x