Skip to main content

Book quiz/meme







This book quiz/meme, was an earlier post from Random jottings of a Book and Opera Lover, I thought I would give it a go...

Name a book you have read more than once

Of course, Jane Austens'  P&P;When we were very young  &  Now we are six -AA Milne; Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess; The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath,; Repossessing Ernestine by Marsha Hunt -an underrated writer whom I believe who has 'it'... I know what I mean!

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?

yes! A Little Princess which first my mother read to me, then I read it over and over, of which I have several prints and copies. At a very young age it taught me however tough things get, however bleak there is always someone worse than you and there is ALWAYS hope. The same with Maya Angelous early autobiographies.

How do you choose a book? eg - by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews? 

Mostly by recommendations, mother, friends, reviews in Newbooks magazine for whom I write reviews, I rarely take notice of other authors recommendations on books, as I know they are paid for them and not all  read them thoroughly; if I chose a book by its cover it is  unwitting happenstance. Though I know some book covers give an indication of the genre, ie. chick lit, so actually, Yes!

Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction?

I prefer in the main fiction, as I can allow my imagination to run riot, with non-fiction and history I have to reign it in and let the brain work rather than my mind, if you get my drift!?

What is more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot? 

For me the prose and then the style is key, as this can turn me off faster than a feeble handshake or a sloppy kiss! The plot will overcome this problem, if it's really riveting and it has engaged me from the get go. As I WILL NEVER read the last page, which for me is a bit like smoking or eating in the street, my mother would kill me if she  caught me.(Luckily these days I don't smoke and if I ate in the street I'd fall over my feet... need to concentrate!)

Most loved/memorable character (character/book) 

Only one?! Sorry no can do, Sara Crewe and  Becky ... oh the bond! Christopher Robin! James Frey in his 'memoir' A Million Little Pieces (whatever anyone says ... much RESPECT) Jane Eyre her strength of character and her love! All the characters in the wonderful (I wish I had written it kinda book) Ursula Under by Ingrid Hill Fabulous!).

Which books can be found on your nightstand at the moment? 

Well I have a book case next to my bed with a few hundred book w aiting not to patiently, I'm sure they call out to me and sing read me, read me...I feel the pressure sometimes...Um lets see, my nearest to me pile has Nigel Slater's Eating for England; James Frey's Bright Shiny Morning; Jodi Picoult's Second Glance; Eckhart Tolle's, A New Earth; Love letters of Great Men edited by Ursula Doyle; Trespass by Valerie Martin to name just six!

What was the last book you have read and when was it? I finished the warm duvet of a book- Miss Pettigrew lives for a day by Winifred Watson only last week, am currently on The Taming of the Shrew, for my Open Uni course and have just started Annie Proulx's new short story compilation Just the way its:Wyoming Stories.,

Have you ever given up on a book half way in? Yep, since I turned 40, (10 years ago) I gavemyself permission to not finish a book, allowing me access to 1000's of others! I have given up on Captain Corelli's Mandolin;100 Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez but I love Love in the time of Cholera!!


I'd be very interested in other preferences, do have a go too!

Comments

  1. Fascinating reading list FFF! I read lately that the real Christopher Robin famously fell out with his parents...perhaps it is better not to know the REAL story. I am a fiction fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What OU course are you doing? Is it the Level 3 complete Shakespeare plays?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI french fancy! As l'm tying to make up points, l'm completing some short courses this is A177, intro to Shakey, however having completed several courses at all levels, the last level 1 course I did was at the same level of work, and difficulty as a 3!! hey ho onwards!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love A Little Princess, too! Annie Proulx is a great writer - I must catch up with her latest. Nicola

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Take the weight of your feet, draw up a chair and pour yourself a cuppa. Leave your troubles at the door and together we shall ride out the storms.
I will walk a while in your shoes...

Saz x

Popular posts from this blog

Tesco - every little helps

Last year I bought myself a new camera online from Tesco. One of those emails arrived in my inbox with a 'deal of the day'  and for me the camera was the dog bollocks, in as much as it had a large 8 mega pixel whatsit .... and a large LCD, and yes I do like things big.. say no more! Oh and it is red! which is almost as good as purple but not quite, like size colour of inanimate objects does matter. It was a great price and the bonus was that it came with a, yes you guessed it, large  memory card. Total cost £74.
It arrived quickly but not with the promised memory card, so I contacted Tesco and they apologised, told me they'd run out and would credit me for the cost of the memory card. I found to my surprise a credit of £36.99 in my bank account, so the camera was only £37! I bought the same memory card from Amazon for a few pounds only, so a  result, thank you Tesco!
A few weeks ago my girlfriend's washing machine broke down in its last month before the 12 month warranty…

What a difference....

a year makes!

It has taken me the better part of the last month, to access my blogs (and Moannie's) as I feared it had alas been removed from the ether. Playing around with passwords and email addresses...I'm in again.

My last post , just 10 months ago...burst my seams, as again I realised how so much has changed!

I'm still,  in my new wee home, with Joey (dog) and Monty (cat).

My lovely son has returned from uni in the USA, attained a First Class degree and started work in London last Autumn as a writer...the world his oyster for the taking! My hero!

My beautiful daughter is in Leeds, amid her Midwifery degree, working at a Brazilian first class restaurant, all loved up with the Spanish Chef.... a meeting is on the cards AND he is taking her to meet his Mama is Spain this summer, so must be serious methinks! So proud!

My hugely supportive brother (TOAOS) is living contently in the Garden of England with his wife and Harry the cutest dog!!

My younger and what a stunner sis…

moments...

..and here we are firmly into a new year and I am sitting up wide awake in bed, yet again... I am reflecting upon what was in 2013 and what wasn't.

The 'what wasn'ts ' are left where they are, filed and duly noted, I shall unremember them.

However for the 'what was' ' and that which I choose to bring with me into 2014, are the things that are memorable, enriching, happy and surprising, be them the tiniest fragment of joy or the biggest new thing on the block!

I didn't get off to a great start in January as we had only recently lost Mumma a few months before, the countdown to my son's second year of uni starting mud summer in the States and i was in the middle of a roller-coaster of negotiations trying to secure a business lease and plan for a potential opening. I wasn't at my best and i was running low on fuel.

However as always when faced with a challenge I was defiant and rose to several occasions, decisions with all the positivity I could mus…