Tuesday, 2 September 2008

G is for Gairloch - ABC WEDNESDAY



ABC WEDNESDAY - round 3

a cove at Gairloch 2007


I was just thinking that this time last year we had just returned from a late summer trip to the North West of Scotland.


Ben Eigh 2007


Of course, it was dull and mostly wet, but we had a great relaxing time.
We stayed in a log cabin for 5 days in Kinlochewe,
under the shadow of Ben Eigh on the shores of Loch Maree
We walked a lot and watched the wildlife, including skuas, G-uillemonts, G-annets, cormorants, porpoises and seals whilst on a boat trip out into Loch G-airloch.


Loch Gairloch
The nearest town was G-airloch, where we visited the fabulous Hillbillies Cafe for morning coffee and afternoon tea and sometimes just for piece of lemon meringue pie. With its adjacent book shop I was in heaven, food and books, what more can a girl ask for....


Bealach na Ba, Skye

We took the car up the world reknowned Cattle Pass and then down to Applecross, something we did when we were younger before we had the children and had regaled them with tales of the steep and winding drive up. At the top, where it is so cold and blustery even in August the view over to Isle of Skye and Bealach na Ba was amazing.



http://wednesdayabc.blogspot.com/
Don't forget to stop by Mr. Linky at Mrs. Nesbitt's place, to see "G" posts from all around the world. And....we'd all love it if you left comments, or, even better, if you want to join the fun.

30 comments:

  1. Ah sounds so beautiful! We're planning a break in Scotland for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes Scotland - A country to be visited and revisited and...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Scotland, stayed at Arrochar on Loch long two weeks ago, you great photos have just reminded me to get them posted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scotland is very beautiful! Some years ago I went to Scotland with a Dutch group. I love the old castles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very attractive scenes and the photography is very nice.

    I only got one Grumpy Alien posted for "G." He is at Thunder Maker

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful and serene. I think I'll start checking airfares to Scotland! Happy ABC Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely scenery. carlisle is as far north as we've been.
    note to self - must go further, it's lush...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the names of these places and the scenery. would love to experience the hillbillies cafe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Makes my heart yearn to visit Scotland and see it all for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks like a beautiful place. I've never been to Scotland but would to go one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post! Lemon meringue pie and a book store -- I'd be in heaven too. Beautiful place and photos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scotland................where it rains! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots! Wonderful fitting for the "G"!
    Cheers, Klaus

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely "G" post. The scenery at Bealach na Ba, Skye is just Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Someplace I have always wished I could visit. Love your pictures and story with them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is the heather in full bloom now? I remember the Isle of Skye and going for a boatride on one of the lochs. Oh to return some day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice photoes. I have been in Scotland and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful, shots. :) feels quite remote.

    ReplyDelete
  19. great "G" and a wonderful looking place to visit

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with you--food and books--I don't need much else.
    Great photos.

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the first photo, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely pics! We have talked about spending the summer hols in Scotland for a few years but worry it will rain!!!! I think we'l try it next year, it does look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Food and books and a beautiful rainy setting with birds, porpoises and seals! I loved the little bit of Scotland Otto and I have seen on our brief travels to the British Isles.

    I loved to share this bit of your vacation. Your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh I want to be there. Great G - very beautiful.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such beautiful scenery; I've always wanted to go to Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It all looks very beautiful but I bet the wind whistles in winter! I haven't been any further north than Edinburgh but I always imagine the word 'rugged' applying to the Highlands.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome Photos!!! Looks very rugged and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These photos are very attractive! Love all them!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely picture of the road to Applecross - did it both ways once about 25 years ago and later used the new road round the coast from Shieldaig and back over it.
    Since then have discovered even more hair-raising roads in New Zealand and Norway.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Take the weight of your feet, draw up a chair and pour yourself a cuppa. Leave your troubles at the door and together we shall ride out the storms.
I will walk a while in your shoes...

Saz x